Mount Washington Hotel
The Mount Washington Hotel is in the National Registry of Historic Places. Joseph Stickney, a NH native, Pennsylvania coal and railroad magnate and already the owner of the area’s premier resort at the time, The Mt. Pleasant House, started construction of The Mount Washington in 1900. This was the golden age of White Mountain tourism by railroad, and Stickney imported 250 Italian craftsmen to make this his masterpiece, the first hotel of its kind to be built from scratch as a grand hotel. The Weeks Act was strongly supported by the tourism industry in the White Mountains to keep the surroundings clean and natural and to prevent guests from straying to other destinations like the Adirondacks
In 1944, the Mount Washington received world-wide attention when delegates from 44 countries met at The Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference to establish the modern day rules of international commerce and finance. The Stickney Chapel, just east of the hotel on Rte 302, was built in dedication to Josephy Stickney by his wife Carolyn in 1906, 3 years after his death. It is believed to have been built by many of the same craftsmen as The Mount Washington Hotel.
Across the street from the chapel, a plaque honors John Anderson whose family helped bring the Portland Ogdensburg Railroad to Crawford Notch and who supported the Weeks Act in an effort to keep tourism alive in the White Mountains.
View larger map
Directions to Next Site:
The next stop on the Weeks Act Legacy Trail is 1.6 miles west on Route 302. Turn right onto Old Cherry Mountain Road. The Fabyan Guard Station is just up the dirt road on the left before the road gate.